Work With A Fascinating Niche With Ideal Clients
With Marc Gutman
Marc Gutman is the founder of Wildstory, a brand strategy and design studio agency.
He’s done a lot of amazing work in the outdoor and adventure space, and recently a lot of B2B tech, including his recent client, Cold Quanta.
Marc is a storyteller, entrepreneur, adventurer, and idealist. Marc has held several positions in the story business.
He served as Story Editor for Oliver Stone’s Illusion Entertainment, and wrote stories and screenplays for Oliver Stone, Warner Bros., and 20th Century Fox.
He has worked on movies with Sean Penn, Jennifer Lopez, Al Pacino, Jamie Foxx, the Farrelly Bros, Bill Murray, Chris Rock, Mark Whalberg, and Jennifer Aniston.
In addition to his time in Hollywood, Marc itched the entrepreneurial scratch by founding a multimillion-dollar tech company in Boulder, Colorado.
- What’s the niche pivot? Here’s the evolution of Marc’s career
- How business is “like Game of Thrones”
- Why B2B and tech are so ideal to work with for Marc
- When creative resistance shows up
- Do we put too much emphasis on what the niche market is rather than other details in working within a certain industry?
- How Marc is working within a niche but with a wide variety of clients
Lightning Round with Marc Gutman
- Best advice: Never leave fish to find fish
- Habit that contributes to success: Commitment to running and physical fitness
- Recommended tool: Notion and using phone as a webcam through new Mac update
- Recommended book: The Art of Looking Sideways by Alan Fletcher (look around for used books!)
Connect with Marc Gutman + Resources
- Previous episodes with Marc – follow the journey! – Episode 130, Episode 27
- The Design Squiggle
- Guttyville on IG
Quotes from Marc Gutman
- “There’s an illusion of stability. That we’re going to set it and forget it.”
- “So much is determined by the cultural zeitgeist that’s going on in the world.”
- “They’re totally lit up about it. That’s infectious, right?”
- “I try not to come in with a preconceived notion.”
- “People wanna know who you are.”
- “Stop changing the process.”
- “One foot in front of the other.”
- It’s all about evolution. If you stay the same, you’ll be pretty boring!
- Tech and B2B companies need your services, make an impact, and can afford to pay. Can you claim the same for your niche?
Sponsors For The Digital Agency Show
Ready for a managed hosting provider that is going to get your clients the performance, reliability, and support you need? Get started with Cloudways today with a $50 hosting credit using code “DASCW”.Outsourcing services for digital agencies–website design & development, ecommerce, SEO, content marketing, link building – E2M.