9 Strategies To Build Recurring Revenue In Your Digital Agency
E25: Balancing Creativity and Business with Aaron Draplin
Today we are talking to Aaron Draplin, a graphic designer, author, and founder of Draplin Design Co. He works with some big-name clients and is the co-creator of the Field Notes brand. He’s truly a design guru, and we’re thrilled to have him on our show today.
Some of the highlights of the show include:
- The moment when Aaron made the decision that he could and would leave his job at an agency and go off on his own and become an entrepreneur.
- How going off on his own made it easier for Aaron to be excited about work and make more money, tripling his income in a short period of time.
- Why focusing only on big-name clients is inauthentic and not the way that Aaron found success.
- Aaron’s thoughts on how he balances the creative and business sides of his business.
- One of the biggest business mistakes Aaron made early in his venture.
- Why bigger isn’t necessarily better when it comes to clients.
- Field Notes
- Better Rename
- Astute Graphics
- Neil Degrasse Tyson books
- A Universe From Nothing
Quotes by Aaron:
- “When I started to get ahead, it was an epiphany: It was actually easier on my own.”
- “I didn’t want to be a person who was hard to approach.”
- “Bigger isn’t better…. The bigger the clients, the more emails and phone calls. There’s a price you pay for all that stuff.”