Dec 14th @ 10am MT - Lead Gen Intensive w/ Brent Weaver
E165: Avoid bad fit clients to build a successful agency with Alex Price
Build websites faster and make clients happier with Zephyr CMS (sponsored).
Unlimited WordPress tasks for digital agencies at a fixed monthly cost with UnlimitedWP, get 25% your first month with code “das2020” (sponsored).
Alex Price started freelancing as a designer/developer aged 16, then dropped out of university to start 93digital in London at 20. 93digital is now recognized as the UK’s leading independent WordPress Agency. Now aged 27, Alex employs a team of 20 with $2m in annual revenue. Twice included in the BIMA 100 of “Those shaping the digital industry in the UK”, Alex has been recognized by The Drum as an “Agency Rising Star”. Econsultancy recently included 93digital as a “One to Watch” in their Top 100 Digital Agencies Report.
- How Alex’s agency found their “sweet spot”.
- What Alex has done to scale to the 20 person/$2m level they’re at right now.
- How Alex qualifies a potential client that he’d want to work with.
- Why it’s particularly important to avoid bad fits right now.
- How Alex set up his team for success and quick growth.
- How to make client collaboration work.
- Best advice ever received: You’ve done the hard bit.
- Habit that contributes to success: Being reflective.
- Recommended tools: SEMrush
- Recommended book: Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely
- Run time: 32:55
- “Picking the right projects, picking the right clients.”
- “What’s the kind of cultural fit we have with clients.”
- “It starts with the agency owner making the right decision about the project.”
- “You can’t put a cost on culture and team.”
- “The long-term costs might be greater than the money that you might be making now.”
- You can tell a lot about potential clients from asking questions that reveal their values.
- Consider pushing salaries higher than you think you can afford for multiple benefits, including a potentially quicker hand-off.