E11: Part Time Work for Full Time Pay with Mary Shaw
Unlimited WordPress tasks for digital agencies at a fixed monthly cost with UnlimitedWP, get 25% your first month with code “das2020” (sponsored).
Mary Shaw is a UX design consultant with over 20 years of experience in digital design. She’s worked on hundreds of web projects for some of the world’s largest companies and brands, including Coca-Cola, Starbucks, and Conair. Mary helps large corporations and startups get the most from their online investments by designing with intent and focusing on results. She also helps aspiring UX designers level up their careers through a private coaching program.
She started consulting in 2006 after producing over $5 million in agency and corporate websites. One of the most exciting projects from her big agency days included a high profile campaign for Unilever’s Dove brand that received over 3 million visits during the Super Bowl XL halftime show. Mary lives with her husband, daughter and dog in Norwalk, CT. Find out more about Mary at maryshaw.net.
Some of the highlights of the show include:
- Where Mary was many years ago when she considered going back to an hourly job as opposed to pursuing her interest in digital design.
- How Mary started a business despite not being able to commit to more than 20 hours per week, including the difference between thinking of yourself as a business owner vs. thinking of yourself as a freelancer.
- Mary’s most challenging moments as an entrepreneur and a designer and how she recovered.
- How outreach can help business owners get clients, as well as other strategies that Mary has used.
- How Mary’s branding herself as an expert in UX design has helped her immensely, as well as how she established herself as an authority with consistency.
- Mary’s thoughts on how publishing content has made her a better expert on her niche.
- How a current designer or agency owner can understand what UX design actually is and keep their clients involved.
- What Mary’s excited about when it comes to her business right now.
Mary on LinkedIn
David Allen’s Getting Things Done
The One Thing
Quotes by Mary:
“I couldn’t imagine myself making anything close to my former full-time salary on a part-time scale, and that was very wrong.”
“I came to think of myself as a business owner and not just a freelancer.”
“I research the topics I write about quite a bit and it’s been a wonderful way to keep up with the industry, from a self-education standpoint.”
“How you think is everything: Keep a close eye on your thoughts so you don’t lose your mind.”