Dec 14th @ 10am MT - Lead Gen Intensive w/ Brent Weaver
E222: Becoming a YouTube celebrity as a nomadic agency ceo with Phil Lockwood
Help your clients close more leads with a new all-in-one marketing platform that you can white-label, HighLevel (sponsored).
Outsourcing services for digital agencies – website design & development, e-commerce, SEO, content marketing, link building – E2M (sponsored).
Phil Lockwood is the Founder and Chief Visionary of Distill. His focus is on developing and evolving simple, high-returning web marketing efforts that help his clients implement and grow. He’s a regular guest and speaker on numerous podcasts and conferences, like Bloomberg, Businessweek, ABC World News Tonight, USA Today, Wired Business 2.0, and many others. He has also recently released a successful YouTube channel, called Always Be Changing, where he’s literally traveling the world, still running his agency, and sharing his experiences with this audience.
- How Phil went from a passionate pursuit to a grander plan with his YouTube concept.
- Why this path may lead down a road to niching.
- What perks the Lockwoods have been enjoying in their video-travel work.
- How the three kiddos are adapting to nomadic life.
- How having a “home-base” vs. living purely nomadic feels different.
- How to prep the kids to see something interesting during travel and get them truly engaged.
- How having a camera present changes the dynamic, and what drawbacks exist.
- How Phil keeps his agency going while traveling the world.
- How Phil and his wife divvy up work to keep the channel going efficiently.
- Best advice: from Phil’s Grandmother: Accept responsibility for your successes and your failures.
- Habit that contributes to success: Perfectionism
- Recommended tool: Google Tasks
- Recommended book: Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson
- Run time: 39:44
- Previous episode with Phil – 1st episode with DAS, episode 46, episode 84, episode 135
- Distill Youtube channel – includes mentioned course and videos
- Always Be Changing – YouTube, Inspirato, and more on this website
- “It was a slow evolution!”
- “I’m more, ‘Let’s see what percolates to the top’…”
- “I never realized how many places have lizards and snakes.”
- “We’ve literally been living out of suitcases…having a home base makes all the difference.”
- “You see where that battle took place.”
- “We’re always prioritizing the family over the filming.”
- “I realize the behind the scenes….90% of our travel gear was cameras!”
- If there’s a topic you can sit down and confidently record pieces of, you’re able to “create once, use everywhere”. Start with what is easy and quick and efficient!
- Having a camera around: limit, focus, and don’t film everything.
Want to see the episodes recorded live?
Join our Facebook group, Profitable Digital Agencies, for fun insider access, freebies, and connections to agency owners around the world!