Dec 14th @ 10am MT - Lead Gen Intensive w/ Brent Weaver
E166: Picking a niche you love and working it with Stephanie Hudson
Build websites faster and make clients happier with Zephyr CMS (sponsored).
Unlimited WordPress tasks for digital agencies at a fixed monthly cost with UnlimitedWP, get 25% your first month with code “das2020” (sponsored).
Stephanie Hudson has been building websites and marketing them since the late 90s. Equal parts geek and dreamer, her wide-ranging experience gives her the chops to understand complex tech, but also explain it simply for mere mortals. Stephanie brings enthusiasm, technical know-how, and corny jokes to every conversation. When not presenting on stage, crafting custom marketing strategies, or managing WordPress sites, you can find her relaxing fireside with a juicy IPA at her home in Charlotte, NC.
- All about the current state of affairs at Focus WP and Sweet Tea Marketing.
- Why Stephanie runs a lean shop.
- Why Stephanie picked breweries to work with specifically, and how she narrowed it down.
- All about competition to work with “cool” niches.
- How things have changed for Stephanie this year.
- Whether Stephanie could ever commit to one business or the other.
- Stephanie’s take on engaging with potential businesses during COVID—when you can’t just walk in to any business.
- Best advice ever received: Listen to your body.
- Habit that contributes to success: Being chatty.
- Recommended tools: LastPass
- Recommended book: Mike Michaelowicz and Donald Miller books
- Run time: 36:31
- The Year of Yes by Maria Headley
- Mike Parker episode on The Digital Agency Show
- Mike Michaelowicz
- Donald Miller books
- “I use only contractors…I’m very hesitant to cross that bridge!”
- “I haven’t been burned, I’ve just heard horror stories.”
- “When someone turns a hobby into a business, they’re not always the best business person.”
- “It’s not the right time to go knocking on doors.”
- “I’ve always had a side hustle.”
- “Proactive open-mindedness.”
- “We don’t always know what we want.”
- You’ll get a good picture of a niche if you have three clients within one.
- Try saying yes more! It may open up worthwhile opportunities.