E143: The power of illustration in agency messaging with Ingrid Lill
Build websites faster and make clients happier with Zephyr CMS (sponsored).
Unlimited WordPress tasks for digital agencies at a fixed monthly cost with UnlimitedWP, get 25% your first month with code “das2020” (sponsored).
Ingrid Lill studied Visual Communication back when layouts still were drawn by hand.
She later worked as a graphic designer and art director all over Europe, as well as a graphic recorder drawing live at conferences and seminars.
She teaches drawing in her studio and online at Illustrationmadeeasy.com
Ingrid recently discovered/invented Visual Coaching and Brand Storyboarding.
- How to get clear on your agency’s message using the power of drawing.
- How to take faster notes—using illustrations.
- How discovering her superpower has changed Ingrid’s own business.
- Practical applications using various tools, plus what it means to draw eyebrows that are higher in the center and how to place characters into a simple background.
- Best advice received: Your drawings are good enough, not go figure out what you want to say with them.
- Habit that contributes to success: Draw every day and “do what you like best.”
- Recommended tools: My Apple pencil
- Recommended book: Storybrand by Dr. Donald Miller
- Run time: 33:46
- “I think it was the storytelling that always interested me.”
- “At some point, it became too boring.”
- “I’m helping businesses get clear on their message.”
- “This was interesting. I think I’m on to something here.”
- “The advantage of drawing is that it’s really fast.”
- “I hear them, and they see that I’m listening to them.”
- “My drawings are very simple.”
- You can use these methods to help with your sales process. Ingrid has also seen it used successfully in marketing and newsletters.
- Start with the “who”.
Ingrid was inspired by the interview to contribute a little something…