[Live Training] 9 Strategies To Build Recurring Revenue
A Successful Change From Freelancer to Growing Agency
With Jack Shepler
Jack Shepler has been a member of UACADEMY for many years.
He runs a digital agency called AYOKAY. He grew it from a small, creative, freelance practice into an amazing 7-figure agency that’s working with healthcare, nonprofits, and various other businesses, both national and international.
Episode highlights with Jack Shepler
- Where the journey started (at age 14!)
- How Jack got into music festival photography (at age 16!)
- The (nice!) transition from working at an agency to running his own business
- The biggest change from freelancing to running Ayokay
- How marketing changed over time, as Ayokay grew
- Do nonprofits have any money? Jack breaks it down for us
Lightning Round with Jack Shepler
- Best advice: Listen
- Habit that contributes to success: DJ’ing and getting involved locally
- Recommended tool: Hubspot
- Recommended book: E-Myth by Michael Gerber
Connect with Jack Shepler, plus resources
Quotes from Jack Shepler’s episode
- “I was that 16-year-old, emailing LiveNation, asking for press passes.”
- “Sixteen, in the photo booth, networking with Rolling Stone!”
- “I definitely did a few websites that were $200.”
- “Delegating! You can’t grow an agency to the extent I wanted to with just you.”
- “We didn’t make time for our own marketing. Our website was the same in 2018 as it was in 2011.”
- “It was a strategic choice, really…why don’t I focus on something I’m passionate about?”
Takeaways from Jack Shepler’s episode
- Growth doesn’t happen alone. Your time, income… it’s dependent on bringing in more people and moving yourself to focus ON the business
- It’s important to include some smart strategic thinking, but when choosing a niche you also need to be passionate about it
Sponsors For The Digital Agency Show
Ready for a managed hosting provider that is going to get your clients the performance, reliability, and support you need? Get started with Cloudways today with a $50 hosting credit using code “DASCW”.
Outsourcing services for digital agencies–website design & development, eCommerce, SEO, content marketing, link building – E2M.